Well, this year I have been very quiet about my curriculum choices. Really, I have been trying to slow down and focus more on our homeschooling. Here is a list of what we are doing at this point:
2nd Grade Curriculum, Emma
- Sonlight: Core B+C (World History from Creation to the Present)
- Sonlight: Grade 3 Readers and Language Arts
- English: All About Spelling, level 2, First Language Lessons
- Bible: Sonlight curriculum and Little Keepers of the Home
- Math: Life of Fred, Butterflies
- Science: Real Science for Kids Pre-level 1, some Apologia
- Additional History Resources: Mystery of History 2, Veritas Press Cards
- Physical Education: Ballet
Overall, the biggest change for me this year is using Sonlight. Last year, I felt that all of Emma’s courses just did not mesh together very well and my husband and I decided to look at Sonlight again. This led to me getting the core B+C, which is a one year condensed study of World History. So far, I love the Sonlight. Having everything in one spot and for her exact age is very relaxing to me.
I also ordered the language arts package from Sonlight and I like the readers. I do not like that they cover a whole different time period than the time we are working on with everything else, though. Also, I like the way Margaret Wise introduces grammar with the First Language Lessons very much. So, for now, I am continuing to use the First Language Lessons workbook for our grammar, and using the Sonlight writing program portion of the language arts, and sticking with All About Spelling for spelling because I like that as well. So, the language arts portion is all a bit random, but seems to be working for her.
12th Grade Curriculum, Nick
- History: US Government
- English: Wordsmith Craftsman
- Math: Geometry/Algebra, Life of Fred
- Science: Apologia, Exploring Creation with Chemistry
- Elective: College Prep Genius, Prep/Take SAT and ACT. DriversEd.com course
- Foreign Language: Italian
- Computer Science
- Physical Education
For Nick, we are kind of down to the wire! He will be taking the SAT soon and he is working on preparing for that. He is doing a lot of Math and writing practice. He is at a point where he could either go onto college or take another year to get ready and take some local classes. We are thinking his SAT scores will help us make the final decision. Should be interesting.