Speekee is a Spanish language immersion program – one that is working for us.
- Example 1: As I was driving the other day, I got a text from one son, letting me know he was making good time on a trip to Washington, DC. I asked my other son to text back…and say “be careful!”
From the backseat a voice pipes up…you should text “Cuidado!”
She said it with such conviction! I laughed so hard I almost had to pull over. I mean, I didn’t even know what Cuidado meant, but my Spanish speaking son affirmed that cuidado, does mean “careful”
- Example 2: My five year old wants to watch these videos. Over and OVER
- Example 3: After being informed our subscription to Speekee tv is about to expire, My five year old just had a total conversation in Spanish with her father, begging him to renew her “favorite show”
I have a feeling, I’ll be renewing this one—even though I wasn’t even thinking about teaching Spanish this year. The program just works and I know it is great for kids to learn a language while young, so I am dropping the French videos I have and enjoying Speekee with my kid.
So why does this one work?
Well, I am no language expert, but some things that I see that we like include:
- The videos are engaging for kids. Speekee is a loveable puppet who hangs out with Spanish speaking children and they all go to places like the park, the zoo, the beach…where they talk and sing fun catchy tunes designed to introduce and reinforce Spanish
- Speekee “speaks” directly to your child. My daughter does sit and answer. Speekee’s voice is also very pleasant (yes, I hate annoying puppet voices)
- This is an immersion program, so all the dialogue is in Spanish—although there are subtitles available.
- Pdf worksheets are right next to each episode.
There are currently 10 episodes packed full of vocabulary, and hopefully, they will be creating more.
Speekee is created by specialist language teachers, produced in England and based upon Castilian Spanish.
Check out the Speekee TV free trial.
A subscription to Speekee TV is £4.95 (or $7.50) per month and the first two weeks are free. Subscribe securely using PayPal, and unsubscribe at any time – there’s no minimum period (I love that)
(or you can purchase PAL formatted DVDs.)
See what my crewmates have to say about Speekee TV
I received an 8 week subscription through the TOS Crew for review purposes. I have given my honest opinion.